This project is an investigation of Hero of Alexandria's treatise On Making Automata (περὶ αὑτοματοποιητικῆς) and encompasses philological, contextual and experimental approaches to the devices described there. It is a collaboration between the School of Humanities and the School of Engineering at the University of Glasgow, funded by a Research Project Grant from the Leverhulme Trust.
The website is organised as follows:
- Further information about the aims of the project and the project participants.
- Project news, including blog posts by participants.
- The core of the site is a text, translation and visual media associated with each chapter.
- The CAD models of the two types of automata.
- Further information and resources, including links to articles by project participants and educational resources.